Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ode to Cream o' Mushroom

  I have a confession to make. I love Cream of Mushroom soup. I've recently heard fancy,shmancy chefs, on fancy,shmancy cooking shows making disparaging remarks about this creamy concoction and well, frankly, it hurt my feelings. Why this soup love, you ask? Well, it's creamy goodness, and easy accessibility aside, Cream of Mushroom soup has saved my bacon in more than one "Hi honey, I brought the boss home for dinner" inccidents. It has made me look like I had it all together and really knew what I was doing. And for that alone, I hail thee. Here is a quick,easy recipe that will even impress your husband's boss.


Chicken Breasts with Cream Sauce (wow, that is a boring name)

Ingredients:
5 -6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup melted butter (can use more if needed)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4-1/2 cup of white wine
1/4 cup sour cream or heavy cream (can use more if needed)
pinch of tarragon
two handfuls of Jack or Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Coat chicken breasts in butter. In a large skillet, quickly fry them over med-high heat about one minute on each side. (Just to brown and seal in juices) Lay them in a large 9x13 pan. In the hot skillet, whisk together canned soup, wine, cream and tarragon. Pour over chicken and bake for 20 minutes, sprinkle on the cheese and baste with sauce. Continue to bake for 5-10 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink. Serve over rice or with a great bread to sop up the good sauce!

Note: As you can see your measurements don't have to be exact because you can't really mess this one up. If I were serving this to adults only I might put more wine in it or saute some fresh mushrooms (with butter, garlic and wine) to spoon over top. With kids, I usually put more cream just to stretch it and make it creamier. It's pretty tasty any way you serve it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joylyn, you must be Norwegian! I have a Norwegian cookbook and you wouldn't believe how many recipes call for cream of mushroom soup. In fact, listening to Prairie Home Companion a number of years ago and he a bit about the Norwegian women and their cream of mushroom soup. My kitchen actually feels bare if there isn't any in the cupboard. I'm with you ~ It is a must have!

Judy