Sunday, November 8, 2009

Chowda anyone?

  We just got home from four fun-filled days at the coast. It was beautiful and balmy (well, 65 degrees), which for the Oregon coast is a rarity.We didn't want to come home, but then the rains rolled in and well, "home again, home again, piggldy pig" (as my mother always says). It's our family tradition to go to the beach every fall, and it's also our tradition to seek out a great bowl of chowder while we're there. The last few years I've been greatly disappointed. It's been either too thin, too thick, too gritty or just plain bad (I know, I know, I'm a chowder snob). So this year I took matters into my own hands and took a whole kettle full of my own chowder, which I made at home and transported in a cooler. I warmed it up on the stove in the condo and served it with oyster crackers (my kids fav) and fresh sourdough bread. Dinner is served! Pipin' hot, creamy chowder while watching the waves roll in. . . . well, it just doesn't get much better than that. Enjoy, friends!

Creamy Smoked Salmon and Sweet Corn Chowder (now there's a mouthful!)


1/2 a small onion, chopped
4 Tbsp. butter, bacon grease or oil (which ever fat you prefer)
5-6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 tsp chicken base or 3 bouillon cubes
2 cups water
1/3 cup flour
1 8oz. pkg. Neufchatel (light cream cheese)
1&1/2-2 cups whole milk
2 cups frozen sweet corn
8 oz. pkg. smoked salmon, crumbled with bones removed
1 can cream of potato soup (optional- just makes for a creamier consistency)
1/2 tsp. salt
Saute onion in butter until transparent in a large kettle. Add to kettle, water, chicken base, and potatoes.Cover and cook until potatoes are tender. Soften cream cheese and blend with flour until smooth. Stir into potato mixture. Add milk, can of soup and corn. Bring just to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in salmon and salt.

3 comments:

Meg said...

Can't wait to try it...I'm a Chowder connoisseur! Such a loss for Scotty the Scot, he's allergic to shell fish!

Joy-Joy said...

Meg, You can just omit the fish and have it be a potato corn chowder. I do this for Madi all the time. It's still good!

Marjorie said...

This sounds wonderful, I'm going to have to try this soon. Thanks, and I'll keep reading this...
Marjorie