Saturday, March 6, 2010

Amazing Pumpkin Bread

Technically, I know it's the wrong time of year for this, but you must think back to October and the "Great Pumpkin Slaughter" that went on around here. Twenty bags of pumpkin are taking up valuable space in my freezer and frankly, I'd like some of it back (the space, that is). So any recipe with the words "Amazing pumpkin ---- (you fill in the blank)" and I'm on it! I'm not usually a huge fan of sweet breads, (except banana, of course) but this recipe sounded a little different so I gave it a go. Boy O' Boy, am I glad I did! This is a truly amazing little loaf. The pumpkin and pudding mix give it such  moistness and flavor you don't even need any butter. (Imagine that!?) It goes great with coffee and tea, sliced as a quick dessert, or served alongside brunch. Try it, you'll like it!

Amazing Pumpkin Bread

Ingredients:
2 -cups flour
2- cups sugar
1- tsp. salt
1- tsp. cinnamon
1- tsp. nutmeg
1/2- tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1- tsp. baking soda
1 -16 oz. can pumpkin (or 1& 3/4 cup)
1 1/4- cup cooking oil
5 -eggs
2- 3oz. pkgs. instant vanilla pudding
1- cup finely chopped nuts or chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:
Sift all dry ingredients together. Whisk pumpkin, oil, and eggs. Mix dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture until well blended. Stir in pudding mix and nuts or chocolate. Pour into 2 greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Note: I made 5 mini loaves and bake for 45 minutes. These freeze well and are great to have on hand for gift giving, or drop in company.

No comments: