Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Potato-Rosemary Bread

You probably weren't expecting two months of silence after my last post, but alas, procrastination got the better of me! I somehow got lost in the vortex of ballet-piano lessons-little league-school work (not to mention laundry!) All the great recipes I promised are getting out of control on my desk and in my head, so to get myself back in the groove, I'm posting one of my favorite bread recipes. My middle, ballet-loving daughter requests this all the time. And with the herb garden already pouring forth goodness, this is always a good recipe for using them fresh.



Potato- Rosemary Bread

Ingredients:
1/3- cup mashed potato
1- cup hot water (use potato water if possible) 115-120 degrees
1- TBSP. yeast
1-tsp sugar
1-TBSP oil
1 1/2- tsp. salt
3 1/4- cups flour
1 TBSP- chopped. fresh rosemary

Directions:
 In a large bowl, add sugar and yeast to water and let proof for 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and then knead on lightly floured surface about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.Put dough back into greased/oiled bowl and cover. Let dough rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes. Punch down dough and shape into desired shape. (I usually separate mine into 3 ropes and braid them together) Place loaf on cookie sheet and let rise again for about 30 minutes. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.
Brush with melted butter.

Note: (You can also make this in a bread machine. Put all ingredients into machine and set on White bread setting.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No apologies necessary for your silence. You are taking care of your family, one of the most important (and taxing) jobs ever invented! Like you, my herb garden is doing well with our current cold, wet weather. This bread will be on the dinner table very soon! xoxoxo

P.S. I have a bumper crop of Swiss chard. Are you interested in any?

KaeMarie said...

Duh. You don't know how I am. I'm Aunt Karen! So....do you want any Swiss Chard? xoxoxoxo ~Aunt Karen

Joy-Joy said...

Hi Aunt Karen~
I'd love some Swiss Chard! It's funny you should comment, because I think this is a variation on a recipe you gave me years ago! I'll call you about stopping by. J