Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Napa Cabbage Picnic Salad

We had some lovely  friends over for dinner last night. After a few minutes of witty banter ( yeah, right  ) over our Irish stew and oatmeal bread, my dear friend looked up at me and said, "I do believe this is the best salad I've ever eaten!" I do believe I'll join her in those sentiments.
I got this salad recipe a couple years ago from one of my favorite food-bloggers, Elise at SimplyRecipes.com
As of today, it is my favorite salad. It's actually more like an asian cole-slaw with salad ingredients, but what ever you want to call it, it is delicious! The sweetness of the cabbage, the spicy of the radish and cilantro, and the creamy of the dressing all pull together in a wonderful flavor exposion! You've got to try this and let me know what you think!  Sorry there's no picture, but we inhaled it so fast last night that I didn't get a chance. I will get one up here soon!
Good eats friends!


Napa Cabbage Picnic Salad

Ingredients:
2/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
8 cups (or 1 lb.) napa cabbage, coarsley chopped
12 oz. snow peas, strings removed and thinly sliced
1 1/3 cups radishes,thinly sliced
1 1/3 cups green onions, thinly sliced
1 1/3 cups lightly packed cilantro leaves, slightly chopped

Dressing ingredients:
3 Tbsp rice vinegar (seasoned or unseasoned)
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup mayonnaise

Directions:
Toast almonds in 350 oven for 5-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
Combine cabbage, snow peas, radishes, green onions, cilantro in a large bowl.
In a smaller bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, oil, ginger, and cayenne, until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in mayo.
When ready to serve, gently combine dressing and almonds with the cabbage mixture.

Serves 12-14

4 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Joylyn, glad to hear that you and the fam are all healthy again! I've been looking for a new salad recipe to make for my special Valentine this weekend, and here it is! This will go perfectly with the baby-back ribs I'll attempt in my new pressure cooker. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Love to you all, ~Aunt Karen

Joy-Joy said...

Aunt Karen~
I think you will love this salad! And it goes great with barbecue. I usually serve this along side of a pulled pork sandwich. You'll have to let me know if you like it. Hope you are well,
Joylyn

Janene said...

I am glad that you are all feeling better. You've been missed! This salad looks wonderful and I can't wait to try it. How about a recipe for pulled pork sandwich?

Anonymous said...

I second Janene! I KNOW for a fact that you have an awesome recipe for pulled pork sandwich!