Thursday, September 23, 2010

Ruins Apple Pie (The Ruins Restaurant, Seattle)


  Oh, it's my favorite time of year again! The Northwest rain and  the crisp autumn air have me back in the kitchen and bringing out all my fall favorites. I just finished canning my applesauce last night and was reminded of this great apple pie that I tried out last year at this time. It was different but very good! The addition of eggs and sour cream give the filling a custard-like consistency with the brown sugar topping lending it that sweet crunch. Kind of a cross between a french apple pie and an apple cheesecake. I got rave reviews when I served it to my family and friends! Hope you take the time to give it a try.
Happy Autumn Friends!


P.S. This recipe was developed by pastry chef, Kellie Bryant and is served in The Ruins restaurant in Seattle, WA.

Ruins Apple Pie (The Ruins, Seattle)

Ingredients:
1- Unbaked pie crust
2-Tbsp. flour
½-cup sugar
½ -tsp. salt
1- cup sour cream
2- eggs
½ tsp. vanilla
4 ½ cups apples, peeled and thinly sliced

Topping:
1/3- cup butter, softened
1/3- cup flour
1/3- cup brown sugar
½ -tsp. cinnamon

Directions:
In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and salt. Whisk in sour cream, eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Add sliced apples to the sour cream mixture and coat well. Place apples in pie shell in layers and pour remaining filling over apples. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

For the topping, mix butter, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon together. Sprinkle this topping on pie and bake another 10 minutes . Enjoy!

(Thank you, Dad, for the beautiful pictures!)

No comments: